Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What happens when you die?

I watched as my father lay upon his death bed. He was 86, and knew full well that his time alive in his body was nearing the end. His biggest fear was that he didn't have enough faith to get him into Heaven.
A clergy from Hospice comforted him, assured him that he had enough Faith. And I watched as his faith comforted him as he prepared to embark on his journey. He confided to me in one of his rare moments of alertness, that he was going to die soon. I didn't know what to say to him, but I hugged him and told him it was OK, he would see Mom again and be together with her again.
I sat for hours thinking that every struggled breath was going to be his last. Contemplated what I would do if he left his body while I was there. Contemplated where he was going.
I believe that there is life after death. I believe there is a GOD. I am just not sure that when we die we go live in the sky and dance in the clouds. There is something, but exactly what remains to be seen. At times the idea of what happens to us when we leave the body seems as clear as a pane of glass, yet other times it is not so clear.
My Father outlived my Mother by only 5 months. The circumstances surrounding her death were much more harsh, because they came without warning. We were relocating them from Washington state where they had migrated nearly 20 years before, back to Wisconsin where they were originally from, where two of the four siblings still resided. We were relocating them to a nursing facility because their health was deteriorating and they needed full time healthcare.

My mother died the first night back in Wisconsin, in a Hotel room where she awaited a morning doctor visit that was needed to admit her to the nursing home because she came from out of state. She told my Father on the flight the day before that she thought she was going to die. She didn't want to go to the nursing home, she was doing it for him...she was doing it to move back to family because she knew that eventually they would be alone if they didn't make the move now while they were able.
She wasn't well in the days preceding her death, I know that now...I didn't see it then, even though the signs were there. My sister didn't see it either. I suggested a check up, but she refused to be checked by a doctor. After her sudden death, those thoughts of guilt crept in, if only we would have taken her to the doctor.... We did the best we could with the information we had at the time. She died and we were left wondering if there was something more we could have done. But our Mother...that was her way...well that is a story for another day.
For five months after her death, I felt that she was alone, she died alone , even though there were others in the room with her, my Father, my sister...they didn't know she was dying...so she was alone in her death. The guilt, the things that we could have, should have done....

But with our Father, we were given more time... a week. We knew the end was near, there was time to say goodbye and siblings all took the time to say it. When he passed, it wasn't as shocking as what had happened to Mom...it wasn't as dark, there was no guilt, just sadness that they were both gone. The thought of them together made everything feel ....sweet in a way... like Mom was now OK.
I am not sure where their souls are exactly. I believe that they are in Heaven, where ever that is. I believe they are together, I believe they see what we are doing...there have been little signs. I have faith that I will someday see them again. And I pray that my faith is enough!

1 comment:

  1. It is an amazing story and was happy that someone shared it. Thank you Tanzi

    ReplyDelete

Did this post speak to you? If so, please share!